Lower prices & improved performance make surveillance cameras attractive to smaller organizations
When it comes to operating a small- or medium-sized business, there are plenty of expenses to consider just so the doors can remain open. There’s insurance, employee salaries, inventory, and marketing and advertising, just to name a few line items. As a result, appropriate security measures often slip lower and lower on the list of priorities. But thanks to lower costs and technological developments, that’s changing.
The evolution of surveillance
Several factors have come together to bring surveillance systems within affordable reach of most organizations:
- Over the past several years, there has been a steady decline in IP camera prices, and all indications point to a continued decrease.
- Basic features have improved, which means consumers get more camera performance for their dollar.
- There are now greater data storage capabilities, thanks to SD cards and the cloud.
The importance of security
For a range of organizations, a sensible security system can often mean the difference between success and going out of business. In addition to the usual benefits, such as deterring shoplifters and decreasing employee theft, a security system with adequate surveillance can also:
- Provide a possible reduction in insurance premiums
- Provide evidence to fight fraudulent claims made against a business
- Increase productivity, since employees will know they’re on camera
- Allow for monitoring activity from anywhere through a smart phone or another mobile device
The benefits of an IP surveillance system
There is little doubt that IP cameras have raised the bar on surveillance systems. In short, an IP camera is a digital video camera that can send and receive data via a computer network. The improved technology means:
- Enhanced picture quality. No more stilted and grainy images
- Wider field of view. A single IP camera can do the job of three or four older analog models
- Networks can be set to flag camera tampering or even a missing object
Features to consider
When investigating a surveillance system, it’s important to consider the abundance of different features that are available. Here are just a few items to keep in mind:
- Explore all viewing options in each model, including panoramic cameras. The more ability the camera has, the more ability you have.
- Many systems can be configured to provide automatic alerts, video clips, and still images whenever motion is detected.
- Some systems allow for viewing a live feed from any Internet connection through a PC, phone, tablet, or other mobile device.
- Inquire about integrating other new or existing security measures, such as door sensors, alarms, remote speakers, and motion detectors.
- Make sure your cameras have low-light and no-light support for evening operation or viewing darker areas of your business.
- Some cameras have an embedded microphone and speaker for 2-way audio.
- By all means, your system should be user-friendly.
A security integrator to help meet all of your needs
If you have questions or concerns about your current surveillance or need to install a new system, the security experts at POM Technologies are here to answer your questions and concerns.
And cameras are only the tip of the security iceberg – effective solutions include a range of technologies and managed services, from intelligent video monitoring software that can automatically detect threats to electronic access control and remote monitoring of video feeds by off-site personnel. As a full-service security integrator, we can help you design a cost-effective strategy that’s customized for your organization.
For a free consultation, contact POM Technologies at 212.688.2767 or through our convenient online form.
Latest posts by Peace of Mind Technologies (see all)
- Reopening During Coronavirus: How to Stay Safe, Secure and Compliant - July 28, 2020
- A Proactive Approach to Construction Site Theft - February 25, 2019
- School Safety and Security in the New Year - January 7, 2019